Click on the appropriate tab below to see the Renewal Requirements, Process, Fees and Continuing Education (CE) for a Pharmacist
Current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, on September 30, 2017. All pharmacists with a 50 year qualification who have held an active Florida pharmacist license are fee exempt. All other renewal provisions must be met including continuing education. To ensure you receive your renewal notification from the department, your current mailing address must be on file. Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to become clear and active or clear and inactive before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department. A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements. The department will renew your license upon receipt of:
- Completed renewal application
- Required fees
To receive an exemption from the renewal requirements, please provide a copy of your orders which provides the beginning and end date of your current enlistment or a copy of your spouse’s orders. If you are a Commissioned Officer, you may provide a letter from your commanding officer that reflects the length of your contract with a beginning and end date to fulfill this requirement.
At least 90 days before your license expires, the department will mail you a renewal notification postcard to your last known mailing address of record. You will have until midnight on the day your license expires to renew. Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to become active or inactive before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department.
|You may RENEW ONLINE if:|
- You do not need to change the status of your license.
- You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- Your license status is not ‘Military, Active’.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates ’Clear/Active’ or ‘Clear/Inactive’ , you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was ‘Delinquent, Active’ or ‘Delinquent, Inactive’ before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to ‘Null and Void’ status after the renewal deadline and you should contact your board office for instruction.
|Instructions for Renew Online:|
- Click the “Renew Online” button above.
- Enter your user name and password
- Please note your user ID and password were mailed with your physical license.
- If you are having trouble accessing your account, please try the alternate login process, located at the bottom of the login screen.
- If you require further assistance, please contact the MQA Communication Center at 850-488-0595.
- Click “Renew License” from the column on the left hand side of the page.
After logging in to the renewal system, licensees will be prompted to answer a series of questions and required to provide certain information, if appropriate. The renewal process typically takes 10-15 minutes and licensees pay their renewal fee by Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover when they are done.
|You may RENEW BY MAIL if:|
- You need to change the status of your license.
- You need to pay using a cashier’s check or money order.
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- You need to request a name change
- Your license is in ‘Military, Active’ status.
|To Print Your Renewal Notice:|
- Click the “Renew Online” button above.
- Enter your user name and password
- Please note your user ID and password will be mailed with your renewal notification.
- If you do not know your user ID and password, select “Get Login Help?”
- Once you are properly logged in, you may print your renewal notice by selecting the Renew License link, then click on the Renew by Mail option
Information for requesting a Name Change
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document. A social security card is not considered legal documentation. Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
Certified check or money order should be made payable to the Florida Department of Health If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active Renewing Active||$205.00|
|Active Requesting Inactive||$250.00|
|Inactive Renewing Inactive||$250.00|
|Inactive Requesting Active||$275.00|
|Military Requesting Active||$205.00|
|Military Requesting Inactive||$205.00|
|Active Requesting Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive Requesting Retired||$55.00|
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active Renewing Active||$305.00|
|Inactive Renewing Inactive||$350.00|
|Active Requesting Inactive||$375.00|
|Inactive Requesting Active||$400.00|
|Active Requesting Retired||$180.00|
Licenses that expired September 30, 2015 will become Null & Void1 on October 1, 2017. If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
|Delinquent Active Renewing Active||$560.00|
|Delinquent Active Requesting Inactive||$605.00|
|Delinquent Inactive Renewing Inactive||$600.00|
|Delinquent Inactive Requesting Active||$625.00|
|Delinquent Active Requesting Retired||$410.00|
|Delinquent Inactive Requesting Retired||$405.00|
By submitting the appropriate renewal fees to the department, a licensee acknowledges compliance with all requirements for renewal, including continuing education.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
|General Hours||28||Can be ACPE or Board Approved 10 of the 28 general hours must be live|
|Medication errors||2||Must be Board Approved|
|Controlled Substances||2||Must be Board Approved|
First Biennium Renewal: If you are renewing your license for the first time AND your initial renewal occurs 12 months or more after initial licensure date you are required to complete 15 (5 must be live) general, 2 medication errors and 1 hour in HIV/AIDS. If your initial renewal occurs less than 12 months from your initial licensure date you are required to complete 1 hour in HIV/AIDS.
Board Rule Approved Providers
- Accreditation Council on Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- Providers and courses approved by the Board of Pharmacy listed in CEBroker
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Medical Education per Biennium
- 5 hours for attendance at a Board of Pharmacy meeting (maximum per biennium is 10)
- 5 hours for serving as a Board of Pharmacy Board member (maximum per biennium is 10)
- Up to 5 for performance of volunteer services to the indigent as provided in Section 456.013(9) Post professional degree programs provided by accredited colleges or schools of pharmacy. Credit shall be awarded at the rate of 5 hours of continuing education credit per semester hour completed with the 24 months prior to the expiration date of the license
- Post-graduate studies, institutes, seminars, lectures, conferences, workshops, correspondence courses or other educational opportunities which advance the practice of the profession of pharmacy if approved by the Board. Courses must be submitted for approval 45 days in advance of the course date.
- For Pharmacists that are certified to immunize, you are required to complete a 3 hour course approved by a statewide association of physicians in the state. Approved courses are listed in CEBroker
- Please verify the course(s) you are attending are approved for Pharmacist and not Pharmacy Technicians. Pharmacist cannot receive credit for attending a course approved for Technicians. Courses approved for Pharmacist will have an ACPE-P approval number and courses approved for Technicians will have an ACPE-T approval number.
Click on Chapter or Section Number to View Florida Statute
Florida Administrative Code
Rule 64B16-26.1003: Active License Renewal Fees
Rule 64B16-26.1004: Inactive License Election; Renewal; Fees
Rule 64B16-26.1005: Retired License Election; Renewal; Fees
Rule 64B16-26.1021: Delinquent License Reversion; Reinstatement; Fees
Rule 64B16-26.103: Continuing Education Credits; Renewal