Immunization administration expanded for pharmacists, added for pharmacy interns
Under a law passed during the regular Legislative session this year, pharmacists who have a valid Immunization Administration Certification, have been given expanded authority to give additional vaccines. Also, Florida registered pharmacy interns who complete 20 hours of approved Board coursework can apply for the same certification.
Beginning July 1, 2015, the law allows properly certified pharmacists to:
- Give all immunizations or vaccines listed in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Adult Immunization Schedule in effect on February 1, 2015.
- Give all immunizations or vaccines recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for international travel in effect on July 1, 2015 version
- Give any immunizations or vaccines approved by the Board in response to a state of emergency declared by the governor.
NOTE: Yellow fever vaccinations require additional qualification to administer the immunization and issuance of a stamp by the Florida Bureau of Epidemiology. A questionnaire is available on the Bureau’s website by clicking here to determine eligibility. A CDC course is available online to train pharmacists who want to provide the yellow fever vaccination and is eligible for CE credit through ACPE.
Beginning July 1, pharmacy interns who are registered with the Board of Pharmacy will be able to give vaccines to adults if they:
- Complete the 20 hours of Board-approved coursework and receive the Immunization Administration Certification from the Board of Pharmacy.
- Are supervised in a one-to-one ratio by a pharmacist who has immunization certification.
Applications for pharmacy interns will be available online as a downloadable form that needs to be filled out and returned to the Board office. Click on the Licensing tab on this website, www.FloridasPharmacy.gov, to find requirements and an application. Check with your pharmacy school to find out if the required coursework will be offered, or search CEBroker.com for Florida Board-approved courses.