Registered Pharmacy Technician FAQs

Registered Pharmacy Technician FAQs

Expand allClose all

Where can I get an application form?

Application (PDF)
Applications are also available on the Resources Page.

What is the initial fee for registration?

A person who wishes to register as a pharmacy technician must submit a completed application and a $105 fee to the Board of Pharmacy. The fee is composed of the following: Application processing fee of $50; initial registration fee of $50 and unlicensed activity fee of $5.00. Checks are to be made payable to the “Department of Health”. The application will be reviewed within 30 days. The application fee of $50 is non-refundable.

What is required to maintain pharmacy technician registration?

A pharmacy technician must submit a $55 biennial renewal fee and complete 20 hours of pharmacy continuing education appropriate for pharmacy technicians as required in Rule 64B16-26.103, F.A.C.

Am I required to take a state certification exam?

No. The state is registering technicians not certifying them.

How can my employer pay for my registration?

Instead of the employee providing their own credit card for payment when completing the online registration application, they will have the option to enter the ‘Other Payer Code’ to complete the application process. The application will be uploaded for processing and will stay in pending status until the employer makes the payment. Interested employers will need to register with the Florida Board of Pharmacy as an Other Payer and receive an Other Payer Code.

What laws and rules govern registered pharmacy technicians?

Florida registered pharmacy technicians are governed by Section 465.014, Florida Statutes, and Rule 64B16-26.103, 64B16-26.350, 64B16-26.351, 64B16-27.410, 64B16-27.420 and, Florida Administrative Code. Laws and Rules can also be viewed on the Resources page.

Do persons newly hired to be pharmacy technicians have a “grace period” before they need to be registered with the Board of Pharmacy?

No. However if the person is enrolled in an approved pharmacy technician training program, that person can work as a pharmacy technician without registering with the Board. Once the person has completed the training program, they must register with the Board in order to continue practicing as a pharmacy technician. Pursuant to Rule 64B16-26.351(2), F.A.C. student technicians must complete a 160 hour training course within a six month period.

May I work in a pharmacy as a technician if I plan to take the national certification exam in the future?

Applying to take the PTCB is not considered to be enrollment in a Board approved training program. You may not work as a pharmacy technician unless you are registered or enrolled in a Board approved training program. If you want to work while waiting to take the PTCB, you must be enrolled in a Board approved training program.

Will any technician certificate program be approved for technician registration in Florida?

Pharmacy technician training programs approved by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Pharmacy technician training programs at institutions accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools on or before January 1, 2011. Pharmacy technician training programs approved by the Florida Commission for Independent Education (CIE) on or before January 1, 2011. Pharmacy technician training programs provided by a branch of the federal armed services for which the applicant possesses a certificate of completion on or before January 1, 2011, and Pharmacy technician training programs at institutions accredited by the Council on Occupational Education on or before January 1, 2011 are deemed approved by the board.

All other pharmacy technician training programs must be pre-approved by the board and shall contain a minimum of 160 hours of training, extending over a period not to exceed 6 months.

If I am a registered intern will I need to register as a pharmacy technician?

No, a registered intern may work as a pharmacy technician without paying a registration fee or filing an application with the board to register as a pharmacy technician.

Can I transfer my registration status from another state to Florida without having to take a Board approved training program?

You must apply for registration in Florida. If you have taken a pharmacy technician program which has been approved by the Board in accordance with 64B16-351, F.A.C. you will not have to take an additional course.

What will happen if I do not register as a technician?

You can not work as a pharmacy technician in the state of Florida effective January 1, 2010.

What happens to my registration if I cease employment as a pharmacy technician?

Nothing, the registration is good until the expiration date listed.

Do I have to report to the Department every time I change employment locations?

Health Care professionals are required to notify the Department of any change in their mailing or practice address.

How will the Department notify me when my registration is about to expire?

Renewal cards will be sent to the last mailing address of record 90 days prior to the expiration.

What are the requirements for continuing education?

Registered Pharmacy Technicians are required to obtain a minimum of 20 contact hours of continuing education (CE) of which 4 hours must be via live presentation and 2 hours must be related to the prevention of medication errors and 1 hour must be in HIV/Aids education for the first renewal if they are licensed more than 12 months before the expiration of the license. If they are licensed less than 12 months they are only required to obtain 1 contact hour in the prevention of HIV/Aids.

Do I have to obtain credits from any particular providers?

Yes. In order to meet the CE requirements, courses must be either ACPE or Florida Board of Pharmacy approved. Any credits taken that do not meet these requirements cannot be used to satisfy CE hours.   All HIV and medication error courses must be approved by the Florida Board of Pharmacy.

What crimes or licensure discipline must be reported on the application?

All convictions, guilty pleas, and nolo contendre pleas must be reported, except for minor traffic violations not related to the use of drugs or alcohol. This includes misdemeanors, felonies, “driving while intoxicated (DWI)” and “driving under the influence (DUI).” Crimes must be reported even if they are a suspended imposition of sentence. All prior disciplinary action against any other professional licenses must be reported, whether it occurred in Florida or another state or territory.

Can a person obtain registration as a pharmacy technician if they have a misdemeanor or felony crime on their record?

Each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The board considers the nature, severity, and date of offenses, as well as rehabilitation and other factors. The board cannot make a determination for approval or denial of licensure without evaluating the entire application and supporting documentation.

Do I have to report charges if I completed a period of probation and the charges were dismissed or closed?

Yes. Offenses must be reported to the board even if you received a suspended imposition of sentence and the record is now considered closed.

What type of documentation do I need to submit in support of my application if I have a prior criminal record or licensure discipline?

(1) Certified official court document(s) relative to your criminal record, showing the date(s) and circumstance(s) surrounding your arrest(s)/conviction(s), section(s) of the law violated, and disposition of the case. This would normally consist of the Complaint or Indictment, the Judgment, Docket Sheet or other documents showing the disposition of your case. This may also be referred to as the Order of Probation.

The clerk of court must certify these documents.

(2) Certified copy of document(s) relative to any disciplinary action taken against any license. The documents must come from the agency that took the disciplinary action and must be certified by that agency.

(3) A detailed description of the circumstances surrounding your criminal record
or disciplinary action and a thorough description of the rehabilitative changes in
your lifestyle since the time of the offense or disciplinary action, which would enable you to avoid future occurrences. It would be helpful to include factors in your life, which you feel may have contributed to your crime or disciplinary action, what you have learned about yourself since that time, and the changes you have made that support your rehabilitation.